Friday 4 July 2014

Kenya day 36 - To Nairobi

As we headed for the main Mombasa-Nairobi road, the cloud over Kilimajaro lifted ad we got really good views of the mountain.

Yes, that is snow...

Nice clear view of Kilimanjaro
However, we had to move on and although we were seeing animals as we went along, there was little time to stop. The main road was busy, with lots of slow traffic and it was hard to pass things with the speed regulator keeping us down to 80kph.

 
Farmland on the way to Nairobi

Very abnormal load!

As we got nearer to Nairobi, the traffic thickened up even more, and eventually we found ourselves driving ever so slowly between two lanes of stationary trucks. Not a pleasant situation...
Sandwiched between trucks

It took ages of crawling along to get to the neighborhood where I was staying, and then the street signs were not very helpful. Eventually, though, we found the Wildebeest Eco Camp and the others dropped me off with my kit and departed, intending to drive back to Watamu during the afternoon and evening.
City traffic

Meantime, I settled in to my tent, repacked my stuff so that the things I needed for the mountain could come with me and the "coast kit" could wait for me to return. The camp is in the grounds of a fairly large house, and the gardens are great for birding.
Common Fiscal
Common Bulbul and Collared Sunbirds
 
Unfortunately, the internet was not working, so I couldn't get in touch with folk or write up the blog as I'd intended to do, so that the safari entries would be up to date - ah well, the best laid plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment