Friday 9 May 2014

Kenya day 7 - Shopping day

Today I found this tiny gecko in the doorway as I went out for the first time. We have several in the dining room, and generally around the place, but this one was very small!
Really tiny gecko!
Close up...

After breakfast I went shopping - tagging along with Esther and Matthias, who is the cook, to Timbone and Watamu. We bought bananas from a lady who had whole bunches of them as they come off the plant - very green - and sold them in big chunks of about 10 or 15 bananas. We also visited the supermarkets for milk and other groceries, and found a little shop that sells flip flops. They are more practical in the wet season than fabric shoes which get wet and stay that way. I got a pair of 1000-mile flip flops, made from recycled tyres for 150 shillings - about £1. I've been wearing them ever since - not entirely comfortable, but I'm getting used to them!

The usual routine in the afternoon, office time while it's hot, then off for a swim towards the end of the afternoon. It's good to get to the beach before 4:30 so that it's still light going back up to the centre. Today it was much cooler - the water was more like the temperature of a UK swimming pool and it was quite windy and cloudy - but it was good for swimming and a couple of Pied Kingfishers passed by while I was in the water.

After dinner, the internet has been behaving quite well, so I've put the pictures in the blog posts - they look much better for a bit of colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment